Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Knight with the Lion (295-324)

2.I found the beginning to be interesting because it did not foreshadow that Yvain was to become the hero. The way Calogrenant described the peasant to the most hideous creature he had wondered how nature could create something so ugly, I thought he and the wild bulls would have more significance in the story. Because Calogrenant was seeking adventure, I assumed he would be the main character, and the daughter in the lodging would fall in love with him. I also found Lunete's ring to be an interesting part of the story, because the significance of a ring reminded me of the ring King Mark had given to Yseut in The Romance of Tristan. I was curious about it because it is the sole reason Yvain was not captured and killed for killing the knight.

3. Yvain is not the "braggart" Kay made him out to be and proved all his insults false when he defeated him and gave the King of Britain his horse. He is a noble knight who fought Esclados the Red righteously. Though he mortally wounded him, I found it interesting that he said Laudine had avenged her husband without knowing it, because death would be less of a punishment than to be love stricken eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment