Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Romance of Tristan (14-19)

1. Yseut's vindication was my favorite part in the story. I had been curious as to why she had ridden the back of the leper, only to avoid getting muddy. At first I wondered why she would draw extra attention to the leper, making it possible that someone would recognize him to be Tristan. However, in her oath when she had said that no man had been between her thighs except the King and the leper she rode to the court, I realized how clever her initial plan was. Although Ysuet was speaking with a forked tounge, her plan gave technical truth to her oath, making the King and the people in the court believe her passionate words.

4. I think Tristan and Yseut must die at the end of the text to give it some sort of closure. It is a tragic love story, and in the greatest love stories for instance, the lovers who pursue forbidden love will inevitably die in the end. I feel that the only way Tristan and Yseut could find peace was to die, because the continuation of their lives would have been a constant struggle to be together and a cycle of pain. I feel that their love was unable to survive during their lives, but prevailed after death because of the intertwining trees that grew back even after being cut down three times.

No comments:

Post a Comment